One Zero conference co-founders Ross O’Dwyer, Rob Hartnett and Richard Barrett.
Source: Morgan Treacy/INPHO
- Sunderland are reportedly keen on bringing Ireland internationals Robbie Brady and Shane Long to the club to strengthen their squad ahead of a likely relegation battle in England’s Premier League.
- Disgraced former cyclist Lance Armstrong has sensationally withdrawn from tomorrow’s One Zero conference in Dublin, citing legal reasons.
- The GAA wants to play the hurling and Gaelic football All-Ireland finals in August and replace the football quarter-finals with a round-robin stage.
- Paul O’Connell‘s autobiography is among the 20 books in the running for eir Sports Book of the Year after the longlist was announced today.
- Attendances in the Gaelic football championship have fallen by an average of more than 7,000 per game over the last 10 years, the GAA has revealed.
- Ireland have fallen two places in the latest Fifa rankings despite Martin O’Neill’s side recording two victories in their last two outings.
- Pádraig Harrington has put himself in contention at the Portugal Masters after his first-round 66 put him in a tie for 12th at Vilamoura.
- Belfast fighter Carl Frampton has confirmed he will contest a WBA featherweight title rematch with Leo Santa Cruz. It is expected to take place on 20 January in Las Vegas, although those details aren’t yet confirmed.
Chicago Cubs catcher Willson Contreras tags out Los Angeles Dodgers’ Adrian Gonzalez in Game 4 of the National League championship series.
Source: Mark J. Terrill
- Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola insists his goalkeepers will continue to operate in a playmaking role despite the approach being heavily criticised in the wake of their 4-0 thumping at Barcelona in the Champions League.
- Wayne Rooney has been recalled to Manchester United’s starting XI for tonight’s Europa League clash against Fenerbahce.
- Uefa president Aleksander Ceferin has said that he would consider playing the Champions League final outside Europe for the first time.
- New Zealand Rugby will do all it can to keep fly-half Aaron Cruden on its books amid reports that French club Montpellier are keen to secure the Chiefs star’s services.
The Best Thing We Shared
Waterford legend Ken McGrath visited the office this week and he made light work of the challenge we posed him.
On The Record
We’ve been around each other, which I found has made it easier. Being away from the squad, with the lads around here, that would make it harder. I think the more time we spend together the better.
An emotional Peter O’Mahony opens up on how the Munster players have been helping each other deal with the tragic passing of head coach Anthony Foley.
Where we were today
Ben Blake is at Tallaght Stadium tonight for the latest installment of Dundalk’s European adventure.
Source: Ryan Byrne/INPHO
Kevin O’Brien is at Parnell Park tonight for the third and fourth quarter-finals in the Dublin SFC — Ballymun Kickhams v Raheny (18.45) and Lucan Sarsfields v St Vincent’s (20.15).
Source: Tommy Dickson/INPHO
The Fixture List
- There are five fixtures in the SSE Airtricity League tomorrow night — Cork City v St Patrick’s Athletic, Derry City v Sligo Rovers, Galway United v Longford Town (all 19.45), Shamrock Rovers v Bray Wanderers and Wexford Youths v Finn Harps (both 20.00)
- There is one game in the English Championship tomorrow night, Burton v Birmingham (19.45)
- Sale Sharks take on Toulon from 19.45 in Pool 3 of the Champions Cup
- Pádraig Harrington, Paul Dunne and Michael Hoey are in action in the second round of the Portugal Masters
- Practice sessions at the United States Grand Prix also get under way tomorrow
Luis Suarez‘s humility went wonderfully halfway when he picked up his Golden Shoe today. Power to him, we’d like this kind of honesty across the board.
The42 is on Snapchat! Tap the button below on your phone to add!